Ten Commandments for Caregivers
- Assist the older person to retain their autonomy and self respect.
- Respect the older person - they got this far on their own.
- Be generous with love and loving touch.
- Communicate your level of capability not as a complaint; share decision-making.
- Be empathetic to growing older and the losses involved with that process.
- Be prepared-know your options for situations you anticipate.
- Be informed abut the older person's challenges.
- Know your limits-identify your support system.
- Maintain a healthy sense of humor-some things can be laughed about together.
- Don't feel guilty - no one person is expected to do it all!
These Eldercare pages are brought to you by: Nebraska's Area Agencies on Aging