New programs and services are becoming available that allow individuals to receive long-term care services in their own homes or communities, including meals on wheels, lifeline alert systems, senior centers and a variety of home health and home care services.
What can you do?
- Gather information about the continuum of care and service resources available in your community
- Explore options for home care, home health care and assisted living and nursing facilities
- The Nebraska Long Term Care Ombudsman Program, a program of the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, is composed of staff and volunteers who advocate for and on behalf of individuals residing in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Ombudsmen seek to resolve residents’ concerns and improve their quality of care and quality of life. For more information or to locate the Ombudsman Program that serves your area, call 1-800-942-7830 or visit http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/medicaid/Pages/ags_ltcombud.aspx.
- Advancing Excellence is a national two-year campaign aimed at accelerating the improvement of care and quality of life in nursing homes. In Nebraska, several agencies and organizations involved with nursing home care and advocacy are working together to promote participation in the Advancing Excellence campaign by long-term care facilities and consumers. For more information or to view a listing of participating Nebraska facilities, visit the campaign website at www.nhqualitycampaign.org or download this flyer produced by the Nebraska Long Term Care Ombudsman Program.
- For more information on resources available for older adults or to locate the Area Agency on Aging that serves a specific county, contact the Nebraska State Unit on Aging at 800-942-7830 or http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/medicaid/Pages/ags_agsindex.aspx
- For more information on resources available for Nebraskans who have a disability, contact the Hotline for Disability Services at 800-742-7594 or 402-471-0801 (Lincoln) or http://www.cap.state.ne.us/
- Visit the Nebraska Resource and Referral System to locate and compare services of local and state agencies at nrrs.ne.gov or call 800-746-8420.
- For information on home healthcare agencies and nursing homes in your area contact 800-MEDICARE or visit Medicare’s Home Health Compare at www.medicare.gov/HHCompare or Medicare’s Nursing Home Compare at www.medicare.gov/NHCompare
Begin planning today for your future long-term care needs by ordering your FREE Own Your Future Tool Kit created by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services visit http://longtermcare.acl.gov/ or call 1-866-PLAN-LTC.