What Does Poison Control Do?
What Exactly Does The Poison Center Do?
A common answer would be they help children when they get poisoned. Of course, that would be correct but it
only scratches the surface of what actually happens at your poison center.
You might be surprised to learn that only half of the 42,451 calls received by the Poison Center last year were
concerning young children. More adults die from poisonings than children. Studies show that calling a poison center
reduces unnecessary hospitalizations, saves money, reduces injuries, and improves patient care. The call is free to the
Call the Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222 when …
· Children put something in their mouth besides food. Children are naturally curious and everything they pick up
goes into their mouth.
· You accidentally give too much/ or take too much medicine.
· You need help identifying what your medications are.
· You’re worried about drug interactions.
· You eat something that has made you sick.
· You got something in your eye or breathed in something that doesn’t feel right.
· You’re not sure your furnace is working properly.
· You’re not sure if the plants at your home are dangerous for children and animals.
· You’re wondering what precautions should be taken when applying pesticides to your house/yard.
· You have been stung by a bee or bitten by an insect?
· Fumes at work have made you ill.
· You’re having an adverse reaction to a medication or a food.
· You’re worried about a friend or relative who has taken something to harm themselves.
· You want to know if a product or medicine has been recalled.
· You want to order free stickers, magnets or other teaching materials on poisonings.
· You’re just not sure of what to do about a poisoning and you want to talk to a nurse immediately.
Those are just some of the reasons you should call the poison center. Remember, you can talk to a nurse who is
specially trained to answer your questions. Over 70% of the time you will not have to make a trip to the hospital or doctors
office. Calling a poison center saves millions of dollars in unnecessary medical costs. The poison center is a bargain in
today’s world and we all love a bargain.
Since 1957 the Poison Center has had the privilege of working with the citizens of Nebraska to be your poison
center. We have partnered with parents, health care professionals, law enforcement, hospitals, community organizations,
child care advocates, emergency medical services, and public health departments to make life safer.
Poison Prevention Week is March 14-20, 2010. Take this time to make sure you and your loved ones have the
number to the poison center handy at all times. We hope you don’t have to call us, but we are here in case you do. Contact
the Nebraska Regional Poison Center at (402) 955-5555 in the Omaha metropolitan area or toll-free at 1-800-222-1222 (in
Nebraska and Wyoming