Abuse and Neglect
Abuse and Neglect
Adult and Child Abuse/Neglect Hotline at 1-800-652-1999
Adult Protective Services http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/nea/aps/apsindex.htm
Child Protective Services http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/nea/cha/chaindex.htm
Family Matters http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/FamiliesMatter/
Prevent Child Abuse and Neglect
Rethink your Reaction http://www.nebraskachildren.org/impact_areas/rethinkyourreaction.html
You have the Power to Protect a Child http://www.dhhs.ne.gov/ProtectAChild/index.htm
Reporting abuse, neglect, or exploitation
Under Nebraska law, all citizens are required to report suspected child abuse or neglect to their local law enforcement agencies or to the Department of Health and Human Services hotline.
If a person has reasonable cause to believe that a vulnerable adult has been subjected to abuse or observes such adult being subjected to conditions or circumstances which reasonably would result in abuse, mandated reporters must provide the information to the hotline or to local law enforcement and any other person may report.
Vulnerable adult abuse mandated reporters include any:
- physician assistant
- nurse, nursing assistant, other medical
- developmental disability, or
- mental health professional
- law enforcement personnel
- caregiver or employee of a caregiver
- operator or employee of a sheltered workshop
- owner, operator, or employee of any facility licensed by the Department of Health and Human Services Regulation and Licensure, or
- human services professional or
- paraprofessional, not including a member of the clergy.
What is Abuse and Neglect?
Child abuse is: knowingly, intentionally, or negligently causing or permitting a minor child to be:
- placed in a situation that endangers his or her life or physical or mental health
- cruelly confined or cruelly punished
- deprived of necessary food, clothing, shelter, or care
- left unattended in a motor vehicle if the child is six years of age or younger
- sexually abused
- sexually exploited by allowing encouraging, or forcing such person to solicit for or engage in prostitution, debauchery, public indecency, or obscene or pornographic photography, films, or depictions;
Out of home child abuse or neglect means child abuse or neglect occurring in day care homes, foster homes, day care centers, group homes, and other child care facilities or institutions.
Vulnerable adult abuse is: “any knowing, intentional, or negligent act or omission on the part of a caregiver, a vulnerable adult, or any other person which results in:
- physical injury
- unreasonable confinement
- cruel punishment
- sexual abuse, exploitation, or
- denial of essential services to a vulnerable adult.”
Based on this definition, the abuse may be caused by another person or self-imposed.
What to report
To the extent available the report shall contain:
1. The name, address, and age of the vulnerable adult or abused or neglected child;
2. the address of the caregiver or caregivers of the vulnerable adult or child;
3. the nature and extent of the alleged abuse or the conditions and circumstances which would reasonably be expected to result in such abuse;
4. any evidence of previous abuse including the nature and extent of the abuse; and any other information which in the opinion of the person making the report may be helpful in establishing the cause of the alleged abuse and the identity of the perpetrator or perpetrators.”